Friday, March 18, 2011

Boldly - Featured Artists IRINE POLYZOGOPOULOS


A sneak peak at Boldly artist Irine Polyzogopoulos and her piece 'Comrades'.


Q:
How did you get started creating jewellery?


Beads, beads, and more beads. Seed beads, glass beads, wooden beads, and tons of thread and fishing line. I had no clue what I was doing with clasps and findings, so I simply made things up along the way. Surprisingly, my sister and friends were happy to wear my designs over the years.

Q: What inspired you to begin creating and what inspires you to continue crafting?

I’ve been creating things for so long, and it started at such a young age, that I wouldn’t be able to identify what inspired me. It’s simply always been in me to create. I remember hand-sewing outfits for my Barbie Dolls, sketching portraits of my favourite teen heartthrobs, the many years writing and playing music with my band, and also creative writing. When it comes to jewellery, I am inspired by the notion that I have the ability to create pieces that can, and hopefully will, outlive me.

Q: What is special about Toronto's jewellery arts community and the work they create?

The broad spectrum of work that’s produced has always impressed me. You can find anything from rock’n’roll jewellery to delicately crocheted pieces, and found object jewellery to classic gold wedding bands. There isn’t one overarching influence or style in this city, and that’s why it’s great.

Q: Why do you love jewellery?

My reaction to jewellery is visceral – it continues to give me a rush of excitement every time I see it, read about it, touch it, and make it. I’m fascinated by the fact that humans have such an intense love affair with jewellery despite the fact that it will never be a necessity in life.

Q: Do you think jewellery is different from other art forms?

Jewellery is different from other art forms as it must combine form with function. I was taught to always keep in mind that good jewellery design is not just about the way it looks, but also about how it will react to the movements of the wearer.

Q: Do you think artists play a special role in the community?

Yes. My way of explaining what artists provide to members of a community, or to people in general, is by asking questions. Can you imagine riding the subway, or driving your car with no music to listen to? What if there were no films and movie theaters in the world? What would your apartment look like without any of the paintings or photos on the walls? Would you feel bare without your favourite ring on your finger? I rarely have to explain myself after that.

Q: What attracted you to this project and why do you think it is important to support events like Boldly?

As a woman, it’s important to me to support and contribute to the well-being of fellow women in my community in the ways that I can. Being a part of Boldly was an excellent opportunity to do that.

It was fulfilling to create a piece that manifests the strength and courage that exists within the women who have enlisted the help of the Assaulted Women’s Helpline, and to know that we are raising awareness around the seriousness of domestic abuse at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Free Blog Counter