Monday, March 7, 2011

Boldly - Featured Artists GILLIAN BATCHER

Featured Artist - Gillian Batcher

A sneak peak at Boldly artist Gillian Batcher and her piece 'What Lies Beneath'.


Q:
How did you get started creating jewellery?


When I was about 11 I found “The Bead Boutique” which was located near my dad’s office. I immediately became a loyal customer and after a year of frequenting the store wearing what I had made I was hired to work in the store making samples of jewellery and teaching classes. Beading was a hobby of mine for years and after my undergraduate degree I decided to pursue it full time by enrolling in the Jewellery Arts program at George Brown College.


Q: What inspired you to begin creating and what inspires you to continue crafting?

I was originally attracted to the idea of miniature worlds within art pieces of all kinds. This attraction has strengthened as I learned how to convey layers of meaning beyond the strictly visual in art.

Q: What is special about Toronto's jewellery arts community and the work they create?

The Toronto community is special because of how close knit it is. There are so many cooperative spaces and opportunities to work with others which works to reduce the feeling of isolation this career can facilitate.

Q: Why do you love jewellery?

I love the scale of jewellery as it takes me back to my original love of miniatures.

Q: Do you think jewellery is different from other art forms?

Yes! Jewellery allows you to wear a piece of art so that it is with you throughout the day and not only enjoyed while relaxing at home.

Q: Do you think artists play a special role in the community?

Of course we do. We comment on different aspects of society and make work that sparks a conversation. It does not even matter if people like what we do. What is important is that they feel something and that causes debate and interaction.

Q: What attracted you to this project and why do you think it is important to support events like Boldly?

Helping the Assaulted Women’s Helpline is an important cause and falls in line with charities that I support. I strongly believe that assisting battered women to cope and survive not only helps them have a better life but plays an important role in stopping the chain of violence and abuse. Designing a piece of jewellery for the event allowed me to put a piece of me into the work which will hopefully be cherished and contribute to this worthy cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Free Blog Counter