Thursday, March 10, 2011

Boldly - Featured Artists ERIC PETERSEN


A sneak peak at Boldly artist Eric Petersen and his piece 'Shattered Heart'.


Q:
How did you get started creating jewellery?


After working multiple dead-end jobs after high school I decided that it was time to go back to school. I stumbled upon the Jewellery Arts program offered at George Brown College and was surprised that a program like that even existed. At the time, I believed that jewellery was something passed on as family tradition. It intrigued me because I have an attraction to jewellery and shiny things and as a child I had a semi-precious gemstone/rock collection. I applied and was accepted to the 3 year design program and as I continued on with my studies I realized that jewellery is a great way for me to work with my hands while still being able to utilize my creativity.

Q: What inspired you to begin creating and what inspires you to continue crafting?

The idea of a brighter future is what inspired me to begin creating and is also one of the reasons for continuing. Plus it’s fun, and I enjoy the reactions of clients when they see their new piece of jewellery for the first time.

Q: What is special about Toronto's jewellery arts community and the work they create?

The Toronto jewellery community is a small one but continues to grow and grow. I like the fact that we have so many talented individuals who all have such a broad range of design styles. Toronto also offers a Jewellery Social that happens on the 1st of every month and is an excellent way for industry people from all walks to connect with each other.

Q: Why do you love jewellery?

Like I said earlier, I like shiny things and yellow gold gives me a feeling that I can’t really explain. Maybe it’s a regal feeling, I dunno. And I love how deeply rooted in history jewellery is. It can represent spirituality, status, accomplishment and success. Plus I love fashion and jewellery is just one more accessory. It’s crazy how personal and a part of you your jewellery becomes. When I forget to wear my ring/earrings/necklace I don’t feel the same. And it has nothing to do with self-esteem either, I just feel like I’m not all there - as do most artists. Also, when I travel I always check out the local jewellery galleries because I really love art jewellery. I appreciate the thought process and time that went into the design and the craftsmanship and techniques that it took to execute it.

Q: Do you think jewellery is different from other art forms?

Jewellery is very different and is one of the most challenging art forms to master. For one I feel that artists of other mediums don’t fully except jewellery artists as artists. A good example is this: I was out for lunch with a good friend and fellow artist and the gentleman serving us laughed at my request and said, “Is he an artist to?” My friend laughed and responded, “No, he’s a jeweller.” So my work may not stray too far off the beaten path but I’d like to think that the pages I fill in my sketchbook and the countless hours I spend at my jewellery bench creating something beautiful is still considered art. It’s my art. Jewellery is so complex in so many different ways and I feel that people/artists outside of the jewellery community will never fully understand its true complexity. Jewellery is technically challenging, expensive, risky, time consuming, dangerous, hazardous to one’s health and mentally straining just to name a few. Not to slander other mediums but there is a big difference between the slip of a paintbrush and accidentally damaging someone’s un-replaceable gemstone. There is value to our work before its even made and I feel that Jewellery is one of the most understated art forms.

Q: Do you think artists play a special role in the community?

A sign that I saw at the AGO came to mind when I read this question. The sign stated: “What would we know of history if it were not for the arts?” I think that sentence sums up our role in the community. We make history. Be it dance, music, theatre or visual, the arts brings communities together. I feel that artists are living proof of freedom, especially if you can make a decent living from your craft. Although often broke and sometimes crazy, it’s not to often that you’ll find an artist who is unhappy. More importantly, when a youth is introduced to the arts it encourages them to use their imagination and to think outside the conventional box. The arts can contribute to things like passion and dedication and we need that more and more in these forever changing, gadget-happy, (anti-) social media days. We need more passion and fewer distractions.


Q: What attracted you to this project and why do you think it is important to support events like Boldly?

I was first attracted to this project because I believe in community and helping out when I can. To be a part of an event such as Boldly is an honour and is one of the many rewards my craft has to offer. Publicity at the cost of materials and labour is one thing but the real reward is knowing that you’ve made a contribution for the greater good of society; no matter the size. I donated a piece for a charity event called Designed 2 Give, a benefit for The Canadian Cancer society and the woman who won the pendant said to me, “Thank you so much, you just made my year.” Not only did I make her year but I also helped raise a lot of money for a worthy cause. Events like these are important because they have a lasting effect on people. That single act of kindness and generosity can change a life. And as a sign in my shop says; Think Globally, Act Locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Free Blog Counter